If you are willing to go ahead with a self filing divorce, you must keep in mind certain aspects of the divorce procedure. Even though the laws related to divorce vary from one state to another, there are several states of US that have divorce laws of complex nature. The litigation procedures of divorce involve a great deal of financial drainage especially, for the spouse who had to bear the burden of spousal support in the form of alimony or child custody. So, many individuals try to cut down the cost of getting divorce by self filing. The following information on self filing will help you to get an idea of how to proceed on with self filing divorce.
Information on Self Filing Divorce
- Ideally before going ahead with your divorce you are recommended to consult with your family lawyer. He will be good guide for you in every step of your filing for divorce. In case you are not interested to include your family lawyer, you should definitely try to get in contact with the referral lawyer or the attorney. He can help to make you aware of the various legal procedures related to self filing divorce.
- You may also contact the family court clinic to get details of the divorce procedures. You should keep the self help divorce manual to get up dated with the family code. However, the family code is of help only when your divorce file has to deal with child support matters.
- One of the important steps for self filing divorce is you have to choose the right form. There are various types of forms depending upon the nature of the divorce. There are different forms for contested or uncontested divorce, divorce involving child support, property tiff and such. You should take help of a reputed attorney in order to select the right form for you.
- Make sure the source from where you would get the form is authentic. Download forms from websites that would provide you with updated forms. Forms are consistently revised and you can easily get an updated one from the website of the Judicial Council.
- In case of a contested divorce you are recommended to go for divorce mediation. In divorce mediation a neutral individual helps the two parties to come to a settlement.
You are required to be very careful during the entire divorce process. Collect all the documents as proof in support of your statements. Make sure you keep no flaw that would turn out to be beneficial for your estranged spouse instead of yours. The last of all, try to control your emotions while confronting with your spouse during the divorce procedure.